xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
Following the instructions at www.xrdp.org on "xrdp pulseaudio sink", I cannot get this to work on CentOS 6.
First,  I had errors trying to compile:

1.  Downloaded, configured and compiled pulseaudio 0.9.21 successfully.
2.  Compile of xrdp module module-xrdp-source.c failed at line 364
         if (!(u->thread = pa_thread_new("null-source", thread_func, u)))
     However, in pulseaudio, thread.h, the pa_thread_new is defined as:
         pa_thread* pa_thread_new(pa_thread_func_t thread_func, void *userdata);

If I remove the first argument to pa_thread_new, it compiles and I complete all the other steps and
when I start a audio output while connected to CentOS 6 via xrdp, I get no sound at all.  If I hover
the mouse over the speaker icon in CentOS, it shows "xrdp sink".

I am using the same exact version of pulseaudio shown in the article.

I am using version 0.8 of xrdp.  So what is the trick to get this to work?

Re: xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
I finally got this to work by doing:

yum install kdemultimedia

I have tested on CentOS 6.5 32 and 64 bit systems.

Re: xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

speidy
Hello,

I pushed a fix for this compilation issue for xrdp pa source, you can find it in devel branch.

Anyway, pulse source is for microphone redirection from client, and it works with rdesktop only for now.

Anyway, pulse source is for microphone redirection from client, and it works with rdesktop only for now.

Re: xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
I have got PulseAudio working with the Microsoft mstsc client running on Windows 7 connected to CentOS 32 and 64 bit systems.  Audio from programs running on the CentOS is played on the Windows system very well.

I am now trying to get sound working on a Fedora 20 64 bit system.  It is running PulseAudio 4.0.  No luck so far.  Has anyone got sound working in that environment?

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

jsorg71
> I have got PulseAudio working with the Microsoft mstsc client running on
> Windows 7 connected to CentOS 32 and 64 bit systems.  Audio from programs
> running on the CentOS is played on the Windows system very well.

Great, I too really like how well the audio is working.  I'm working
with the pulseaudio guys to get this sink and source into their tree
so we don't have build and install them anymore.

> I am now trying to get sound working on a Fedora 20 64 bit system.  It is
> running PulseAudio 4.0.  No luck so far.  Has anyone got sound working in
> that environment?

Yes, I've had it working with PA 4.0.  It was not Fedora 20.  It was
Kubuntu 14.04 I think.
If I remember right, there was a compile issue that I had it fix.
Are you getting an error compiling, or starting PA after?

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
The only thing I had to do was to download/compile and install the current version of json-c.  The compile of xrdp and the modules in xrdp/sesman/chansrv/pulse went ok.  In CentOS, if I hover the mouse over the speaker icon, it displays "xrdp sink".  That does not happen on Fedora 20.

When I test a .mp3 file on Fedora 20, it displays the video ok, and a message is shown indicating sound (as it does on the CentOS systems), but the audio cannot be heard on the Windows 7 system.

The only strange thing is at one time a popup message was briefly displayed related to sound and seemed to indicate it could not connect to an IP address.  I noted the IP address was not related to our network, but before I could copy it down, the message went away.

I configured the Fedora 20 system exactly as shown in the document "building xrdp in Fedora 19".  There appear to be major changes between Fedora 19 and 20.  I am testing using kde.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
There are only two messages in the message log related to pulseaudio.  They are:

----------At reboot--------------
May 13 15:30:11 fedora rtkit-daemon[610]: Successfully made thread 1340 of process 1340 (/usr/bin/pulseaudio) owned by '1000' high priority at nice level -11.
May 13 15:30:11 fedora pulseaudio[1340]: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Assertion 's->asyncmsgq' failed at pulsecore/sink.c:586, function pa_sink_put(). Aborting.

----------Double Click .mp3------
May 13 15:31:49 fedora pulseaudio[1831]: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Assertion 's->asyncmsgq' failed at pulsecore/sink.c:586, function pa_sink_put(). Aborting.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

jsorg71
> ----------At reboot--------------
> May 13 15:30:11 fedora rtkit-daemon[610]: Successfully made thread 1340 of
> process 1340 (/usr/bin/pulseaudio) owned by '1000' high priority at nice
> level -11.
> May 13 15:30:11 fedora pulseaudio[1340]: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Assertion
> 's->asyncmsgq' failed at pulsecore/sink.c:586, function pa_sink_put().
> Aborting.
>
> ----------Double Click .mp3------
> May 13 15:31:49 fedora pulseaudio[1831]: [pulseaudio] sink.c: Assertion
> 's->asyncmsgq' failed at pulsecore/sink.c:586, function pa_sink_put().
> Aborting.

I had a problem like this with Ubuntu 12.04.  They were using a
heavily patched pulseaudo server so the internal struct sizes were
different than official released PA sources that we build against.
Thus you get crashes.

The only way to build the source and sink right is to get the source
that Fedora 20 used to make the packages and build the source and sink
with the Makefile pointing to the package source, eg, edit the
Makefile to point to the source.

We need packages.
With the latest bits Speidy and I figured out lately.  I think we can
make a PA package that does not mess with the local PA settings.
Currently, the replacing of default.pa will break any local audio on
the console.

BTW, a nice tool to see if PA is setup right is pavucontrol.
Not sure what the package is called in EL.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
You are probably correct.  I did notice an update to pulseaudio right after I intalled the initial system.  If I display the pulseaudio version, it shows 4.0.  If I do an yum info pulseaudio, it also shows 4.0.  However the update that was installed was something like 4.0.17.

I do have pavucontrol, but it also aborts when I run it.

So I guess using xrdp with audio on Fedora 20 is not possible.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

support@securenetterm.com
I finally found the source to the current version of the Fedora 20 PulseAudio, then built the xrdp sinks, and it worked.   So now I have audio and disk support on all our 32 and 64 bit systems.  The only remaining problem is smartcard support on 64 bit systems.

Thanks Jay for pointing me in the right direction!

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp version 0.8 - PulseAudio support fails on CentOS

jsorg71
> I finally found the source to the current version of the Fedora 20
> PulseAudio, then built the xrdp sinks, and it worked.   So now I have audio
> and disk support on all our 32 and 64 bit systems.  The only remaining
> problem is smartcard support on 64 bit systems.

I pushed the changes to the devel branch for 64 bit support.
Thanks Ken.