Quantcast

[Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

[Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Stephen Yorke (DN)

I have everything compiled, installed and appears to be working but X never starts.

Is there anything special to be done on Ubuntu 12.xx to allow for X to start properly?

-Yorke  (aka Screwba on FreeNode/OFTC)

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Jay Sorg
> I have everything compiled, installed and appears to be working but X never
> starts.
>

> Is there anything special to be done on Ubuntu 12.xx to allow for X to start
> properly?

Did you build X11rdp.
To test, at the command prompt type
X11rdp :10
and see if it starts up ok.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Stephen Yorke (DN)
Yup, that works perfectly.

When I connect to my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, it logs in and when X attempts to start, I get just a black screen.  I did make the edit which we spoke about a while ago for using MSTSC for connecting.

-Yorke

> I have everything compiled, installed and appears to be working but X never
> starts.
>

> Is there anything special to be done on Ubuntu 12.xx to allow for X to start
> properly?

Did you build X11rdp.
To test, at the command prompt type
X11rdp :10
and see if it starts up ok.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Jay Sorg
> Yup, that works perfectly.
>
> When I connect to my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, it logs in and when X attempts to start, I get just a black screen.  I did make the edit which we spoke about a while ago for using MSTSC for connecting.

Oh, you are using MSTSC.  It turns out there is a bug in that client
that makes offscreen to offscreen bitmaps blits fail.
I hate to turn off offscreen to offscreen blits because of the great
bandwidth reduction we get.

I'm not detecting mstsc yet so you can either use freerdp or edit
rdpmain.c and change
int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 1;
int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 0;

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Gustavo Homem
On Thursday, October 25, 2012 11:01:32 AM Jay Sorg wrote:

> > Yup, that works perfectly.
> >
> > When I connect to my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, it logs in and when X attempts
> > to start, I get just a black screen.  I did make the edit which we spoke
> > about a while ago for using MSTSC for connecting.
> Oh, you are using MSTSC.  It turns out there is a bug in that client
> that makes offscreen to offscreen bitmaps blits fail.
> I hate to turn off offscreen to offscreen blits because of the great
> bandwidth reduction we get.
>
> I'm not detecting mstsc yet so you can either use freerdp or edit
> rdpmain.c and change
> int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 1;
> int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 0;

Since this does not happen on 0.6 (works with all clients...) does this mean
that there is a bw reduction from 0.6 on?

Instead of deteccting mstsc, could this be made a setting on xrdp.ini?

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Blindauer Emmanuel
Can this bug being seen in rdesktop too ?
Several time, I get a black screen, but disconnecting/reconencting makes the
desktop shows up

Emmanuel

Le jeudi 25 octobre 2012 11:01:32, Jay Sorg a écrit :

> > Yup, that works perfectly.
> >
> > When I connect to my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, it logs in and when X attempts
> > to start, I get just a black screen.  I did make the edit which we spoke
> > about a while ago for using MSTSC for connecting.
> Oh, you are using MSTSC.  It turns out there is a bug in that client
> that makes offscreen to offscreen bitmaps blits fail.
> I hate to turn off offscreen to offscreen blits because of the great
> bandwidth reduction we get.
>
> I'm not detecting mstsc yet so you can either use freerdp or edit
> rdpmain.c and change
> int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 1;
> int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 0;
>
> Jay

IUT R.Schuman
Université de Strasbourg

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Jay Sorg
> Can this bug being seen in rdesktop too ?
> Several time, I get a black screen, but disconnecting/reconencting makes the
> desktop shows up

rdesktop does not report or implement the offscreen bitmaps so xrdp
should have them turned off.  This must be another issue but probably
related.
I'll do some quick testing.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Stephen Yorke (DN)
Yup, I have compiled with that setting, still the same black screen.  I will try to remove the /opt/X11rdp folder and recompile/install it again to see if something went wrong during my initial build.

Thanks Jay.

> When I connect to my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, it logs in and when X attempts to start, I get just a black screen.  I did make the edit which we spoke about a while ago for using MSTSC for connecting.

Oh, you are using MSTSC.  It turns out there is a bug in that client
that makes offscreen to offscreen bitmaps blits fail.
I hate to turn off offscreen to offscreen blits because of the great
bandwidth reduction we get.

I'm not detecting mstsc yet so you can either use freerdp or edit
rdpmain.c and change
int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 1;
int g_can_do_pix_to_pix = 0;

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Stephen Yorke (DN)
Still does not work, it connects fine but when X attempts to start, MSTSC crashes out closing the xrdp session.

When I connect to my Ubuntu 12.04 machine, it logs in and when X attempts to start, I get just a black screen.  I did make the edit which we spoke about a while ago for using MSTSC for connecting.

-Yorke

> I have everything compiled, installed and appears to be working but X never
> starts.
>

> Is there anything special to be done on Ubuntu 12.xx to allow for X to start
> properly?

Did you build X11rdp.
To test, at the command prompt type
X11rdp :10
and see if it starts up ok.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Nexarian
I'm having the same issue. I rebuilt xorg with the flag disabled (synced to the most recent checkin from the git repository), but all I get is the login screen telling me that the connection was successful. The logs indicate the connection was successful, and I can't find any errors whatsoever... It just -- doesn't work -- It's like you get to the door of a long-lost location that you always wanted to find, and it's locked and you can't find the key.

What was the last git check-in that was known to work with Ubuntu 12 using gnome-unity-2d and MSTSC? I'll try that next.

Any other suggestions -- Stephen -- did you ever get this to work?

Re: [Xrdp-devel] xrdp/X11rdp on Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10...

Stephen Yorke (DN)
Yes it works.

If you are using MSTSC though, you need to make a change to /<xrdp_source>/xorg/X11R7.6/rdp/rdpmain.c

Change this:
     g_can_do_pix_to_pix=1
To:
     g_can_do_pix_to_pix=0

This is close to the top of the file, maybe about 10 - 20 lines in...it is just a few past the comments, if I remember correctly.

Once you make this change, then MSTSC will be able to connect.

Just an FYI, I have xrdp 0.6.0 and 0.7.0 (earlier and latest) running on CentOS 6.x, Red Hat 6.x, Debian 5/6, Ubuntu 10 - 12.  I have just started playing with Linux Mint and I am having problems connecting to Mint Mate but am getting ready to start playing with Mint Cinnamon and XFCE as well.  I do not do SUSE or Fedora work anymore but I am sure they will work just fine as well.  The main thing is to get a proper `messages` file which is showing the error...if you do not get connected, trust me, there is an error in there.

If all else fails, open 2 terminals as root/superuser and change into /usr/local/sbin and launch xrdp and xrdp-sesman with the -ns switch.  This allows you to run as a non-daemon with all logging to the screen.  If you do this, you will not have to sift through the messages file to find the error.

-Yorke (Screwba on IRC)