[Xrdp-devel] security of xrdp.

total Confusion
Hi,

I have a small question regarding to Xrdp. I red that the vnc output is grabed and packed into
a rdp session. But when you are using the " console " option for example, is the password
you enter encrypted or still plain text as with VNC.

to make the question even shorter: is Xrdp as secure as windows rdp ( to use over internet ).

I hope to hear from you, since if its encrypred this would be perfect for me!.

Greetings,

Roy.

Rulive: De nieuwste tips en tricks voor de echte messenger fan.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] security of xrdp.

jsorg71
> I have a small question regarding to Xrdp. I red that the vnc output is
> grabed and packed into
> a rdp session. But when you are using the " console " option for example, is
> the password
> you enter encrypted or still plain text as with VNC.
>
> to make the question even shorter: is Xrdp as secure as windows rdp ( to use
> over internet ).
>
> I hope to hear from you, since if its encrypred this would be perfect for
> me!.

Yes, the RDP client encrypts all the data doing from the client to server.
You can edit /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini to change the encryption level.
I think it defaults to medium which is encrypted in both directions.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] security of xrdp.

Mads Kiilerich
Jay Sorg wrote, On 06/15/2010 09:42 PM:

>> I have a small question regarding to Xrdp. I red that the vnc output is
>> grabed and packed into
>> a rdp session. But when you are using the " console " option for example, is
>> the password
>> you enter encrypted or still plain text as with VNC.
>>
>> to make the question even shorter: is Xrdp as secure as windows rdp ( to use
>> over internet ).
>>
>> I hope to hear from you, since if its encrypred this would be perfect for
>> me!.
>>
> Yes, the RDP client encrypts all the data doing from the client to server.
> You can edit /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini to change the encryption level.
> I think it defaults to medium which is encrypted in both directions.

Encrypted do however not necessarily mean secure. I wouldn't put a rdp
server directly on the internet, no matter if it is MS TS or Xrdp.

The latest TLS / NLA protocols (not yet in Xrdp) might be significantly
better - I don't know.

Be careful!

/Mads