[Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

[Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

A. James Lewis
Hi all,

Sorry to jump directly in with a question, but I think this is a rather
mis-understood issue in many of the threads that google has been finding
me...

When logging in with the default "sesman-Xvnc" type session, with the
port set to "-1", it will spawn a new Xvnc server for each session, but
if the user is disconnected then logging back in appears to often create
a new Xvnc session rather than reconnect to a new one.

If I specify a static port, then it will not spawn a server on that port
if one does not exist..

Ideally, I want each user to have 1 session at most and only ever
reconnect to that session if disconnected.... is this possible with xrdp?

James

Re: [Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

Gustavo Homem
Hi James,

I agree this is unclear at first. Session reconnection "per user" works fine with the x11rdp backend, which is the recommended one.

You can look at the X11rdp-o-matic website for a trivial setup procedure.

Cheers
Gustavo

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

Re: [Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

A. James Lewis

Best advice ever!..

Thanks hugely for pointing this out, it solved several issues I was having including reconnection, keyboard mapping and cut/paste, and it improved the performance to boot.

I wonder what type of desktop most people on the list use, I have now produced a quite functional XFCE based desktop, but I'd be interested to hear what other people feel works well with this.

Also, what tools people use for clustering/HA would be interesting.

James

On 16/05/15 11:22, Gustavo Homem wrote:
[...]

One dashboard for servers and applications across Physical-Virtual-Cloud Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications Performance metrics, stats and reports that give you Actionable Insights Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight. http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

A. James Lewis ([hidden email])
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people
built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why cement works."

Re: [Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

Gustavo Homem
Hi James,

We used a customized KDE desktop, with selected applications.

Screenshots and draft procedure here:

http://solidangle.eu/en/managed-desktops-and-vdi.html
http://blog.angulosolido.pt/2012/08/deuglyfying-kde-on-ubuntu-1204-precise.html

We use KDE because it seems to be the friendliest desktop for regular business users.

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt

> Thanks hugely for pointing this out, it solved several issues I was
> having including reconnection, keyboard mapping and cut/paste, and it
> improved the performance to boot.
>
> I wonder what type of desktop most people on the list use, I have now
> produced a quite functional XFCE based desktop, but I'd be interested to
> hear what other people feel works well with this.
>
> Also, what tools people use for clustering/HA would be interesting.
>
> James
>

> On 16/05/15 11:22, Gustavo Homem wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > I agree this is unclear at first. Session reconnection "per user"
> > works fine with the x11rdp backend, which is the recommended one.
> >
> > You can look at the X11rdp-o-matic website for a trivial setup procedure.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Gustavo
> >
> > On May 15, 2015 6:47:56 PM WEST, "A. James Lewis" <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >
> >     Sorry to jump directly in with a question, but I think this is a rather
> >     mis-understood issue in many of the threads that google has been
> >     finding
> >     me...
> >
> >     When logging in with the default "sesman-Xvnc" type session, with the
> >     port set to "-1", it will spawn a new Xvnc server for each session, but
> >     if the user is disconnected then logging back in appears to often
> >     create
> >     a new Xvnc session rather than reconnect to a new one.
> >
> >     If I specify a static port, then it will not spawn a server on that
> >     port
> >     if one does not exist..
> >
> >     Ideally, I want each user to have 1 session at most and only ever
> >     reconnect to that session if disconnected.... is this possible with
> >     xrdp?
> >
> >     James
> >

> >     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >     One dashboard for servers and applications across
> >     Physical-Virtual-Cloud
> >     Widest out-of-the-box monitoring support with 50+ applications
> >     Performance metrics, stats and reports
> >     that give you Actionable Insights
> >     Deep dive visibility with transaction tracing using APM Insight.
> >     http://ad.doubleclick.net/ddm/clk/290420510;117567292;y

> A. James Lewis ([hidden email])
> "Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people
> built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why cement works."

Re: [Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

A. James Lewis

Excellent...

Here's what I have been working on as my proof of concept desktop to
replace an ageing Windows terminal server, which for the most part runs
Java and web applications...

http://www.fsck.co.uk/POC-desktop.png

James

On 16/05/15 22:25, Gustavo Homem wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> We used a customized KDE desktop, with selected applications.
>
> Screenshots and draft procedure here:
>
> http://solidangle.eu/en/managed-desktops-and-vdi.html
> http://blog.angulosolido.pt/2012/08/deuglyfying-kde-on-ubuntu-1204-precise.html
>
> We use KDE because it seems to be the friendliest desktop for regular business users.
>
> Cheers
> Gustavo
>
> --
> Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
> http://angulosolido.pt

Looks good.

If you are running for desktops for multiple users I'd recommend some resource sharing measures:

http://blog.angulosolido.pt/2013/11/fair-share-user-scheduling-on-linux.html

This is to prevent a smart-ass user bringing the whole thing down. You will either do it in the PoC phase, or after it happens :)

Cheers
Gustavo

> Here's what I have been working on as my proof of concept desktop to
> replace an ageing Windows terminal server, which for the most part runs
> Java and web applications...
>
> http://www.fsck.co.uk/POC-desktop.png
>
> James
>
> On 16/05/15 22:25, Gustavo Homem wrote:
> > Hi James,
> >
> > We used a customized KDE desktop, with selected applications.
> >
> > Screenshots and draft procedure here:
> >
> > http://solidangle.eu/en/managed-desktops-and-vdi.html
> > http://blog.angulosolido.pt/2012/08/deuglyfying-kde-on-ubuntu-1204-precise.html
> >
> > We use KDE because it seems to be the friendliest desktop for regular
> > business users.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Gustavo
> >
> > --
> > Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
> > http://angulosolido.pt

You seem to have thought a lot about this kind of setup... so I have
another question...

You mentioned a pool of servers in your description of how load might be
managed on NFS... but if a user already has a desktop running on a
specific server have you considered any mechanism that might allow them
to be re-connected to the node that has their running desktop?..

I guess some kind of long term sticky session load balancer might work
"most" of the time... but ideally you'd want to check which host has
their session already open... but this seems like a very hard problem.

Also, I notice there is an option to kill disconnected sessions... is
there a way to kill them after a set period of time,

James

On 17/05/15 10:24, Gustavo Homem wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Looks good.
>
> If you are running for desktops for multiple users I'd recommend some resource sharing measures:
>
> http://blog.angulosolido.pt/2013/11/fair-share-user-scheduling-on-linux.html
>
> This is to prevent a smart-ass user bringing the whole thing down. You will either do it in the PoC phase, or after it happens :)
>
> Cheers
> Gustavo

You need to insert a username (say jlewis) and your terminal needs to lookup:

jlewis.vdi.domain

and that record must keep track of the machine where you are logged in.

If the query returns NXDOMAIN then it should query
pool.vdi.domain

which resolves to several IPs (round robin) and therefore connects the user to a random machine in the pool.

When a user logs in it needs to update a record on a database that syncs to the DNS implementation. When a user logs out it must update the record again with null value.

> I guess some kind of long term sticky session load balancer might work

The solution above is simpler.

> "most" of the time... but ideally you'd want to check which host has
> their session already open... but this seems like a very hard problem.

It takes some effort but it might be worth it, depending on the project.

> Also, I notice there is an option to kill disconnected sessions... is
> there a way to kill them after a set period of time,

Didn't test it. You can also have a regular cron job to do that.

Cheers
Gustavo

Re: [Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

A. James Lewis

I like the DNS solution, that's deceptively simple...  although it seems
to have some issues, since ideally people should be able to connect from
an arbitrary client, or statically configured thin client, and they
enter their username after connecting to xrdp...

perhaps there is some way to capture the username and parse it between
the xrdp front end and the actual service hosting the desktop...

Hmm, or, are you suggesting that this mechanism is built in and it
already looks for those "username.vdi" hostnames when passing the
connection from xrdp to the backend?

Thanks a lot btw, really good insight.. :)

On 28/05/15 17:41, Gustavo Homem wrote:
>> >Also, I notice there is an option to kill disconnected sessions... is
>> >there a way to kill them after a set period of time,
>> >
> Didn't test it. You can also have a regular cron job to do that.

I thought about doing it with cron, but it seems like you would have to
determine which X11rdp process had no connected socket before killing
it... I guess that's not too hard, but if it was built in it would also
be nice.. :)

--
A. James Lewis ([hidden email])
"Engineering does not require science. Science helps a lot but people
built perfectly good brick walls long before they knew why cement works."

Re: [Xrdp-devel] reconnecting vs new session.

Gustavo Homem
Hi again,

> I like the DNS solution, that's deceptively simple...  although it seems
> to have some issues, since ideally people should be able to connect from
> an arbitrary client, or statically configured thin client, and they
> enter their username after connecting to xrdp...

True. The solution I told you about forces you to have a simple GUI wrapper for rdesktop.

> perhaps there is some way to capture the username and parse it between
> the xrdp front end and the actual service hosting the desktop...

Yes, shell script + zenity or something in python, etc.

> Hmm, or, are you suggesting that this mechanism is built in and it
> already looks for those "username.vdi" hostnames when passing the
> connection from xrdp to the backend?

No, it isn't built in. You have to build it.

> Thanks a lot btw, really good insight.. :)

You're welcome.

Cheers
Gustavo