[Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

jsorg71
I'm been working on codec mode in xrdp.  This is equivalent to RemoteFX in MS.
Very promising.

I'll be posting videos on youtube in the neutrinolabs area.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNwd4f5s7wmREBXayVKGfQ

One there now, more it come.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

Gustavo Homem
Hi,

Amazing work!

I'll be doing some testing.

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt

> I'm been working on codec mode in xrdp.  This is equivalent to RemoteFX in
> MS.
> Very promising.
>
> I'll be posting videos on youtube in the neutrinolabs area.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNwd4f5s7wmREBXayVKGfQ
>
> One there now, more it come.
>
> Jay

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

camerajunkie
Awesome demo Jay. Is this codec mode utilizing UDP? Can't wait to test this out.

Eben

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

jsorg71
> Awesome demo Jay. Is this codec mode utilizing UDP? Can't wait to test this
> out.

Hi Eben,

It is not using UDP.  Still TCP.

This actually uses TurboJpeg for the codec.  I tried the RFX encoder
from FreeRDP but it's 3 times slower than TurboJpeg and twice as big.
Even with SSE turned on.
The problem is the RLGR step.  It still looks like the MS pseudo-code.

I pulled Vic's original encoder out of FreeRDP and put it here
https://github.com/neutrinolabs/librfxcodec
If someone want to speed it up, that would be great.
We should use the same optimize technique the turbo jpeg uses.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

I've been playing with Intel NUC's and I shot some video that I'd
thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsM6fAYmSTk

Jay

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Jay Sorg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm been working on codec mode in xrdp.  This is equivalent to RemoteFX in MS.
> Very promising.
>
> I'll be posting videos on youtube in the neutrinolabs area.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNwd4f5s7wmREBXayVKGfQ
>
> One there now, more it come.
>
> Jay

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

Sunil Sankar

Wow can't wait to test this

On 21-Oct-2014 12:39 pm, "Jay Sorg" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've been playing with Intel NUC's and I shot some video that I'd
thought I'd share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsM6fAYmSTk

Jay

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Jay Sorg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm been working on codec mode in xrdp.  This is equivalent to RemoteFX in MS.
> Very promising.
>
> I'll be posting videos on youtube in the neutrinolabs area.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNwd4f5s7wmREBXayVKGfQ
>
> One there now, more it come.
>
> Jay

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

Gustavo Homem
Wow, awesome work!

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt

> I've been playing with Intel NUC's and I shot some video that I'd
> thought I'd share.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsM6fAYmSTk
>
> Jay
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Jay Sorg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm been working on codec mode in xrdp.  This is equivalent to RemoteFX in
> > MS.
> > Very promising.
> >
> > I'll be posting videos on youtube in the neutrinolabs area.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNwd4f5s7wmREBXayVKGfQ
> >
> > One there now, more it come.
> >
> > Jay

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

speidy
Wow that's good!

Is it turbo JPEG or rfx codec?

‏בתאריך יום שלישי, 21 באוקטובר 2014, Jay Sorg [via XRDP Devel] <[hidden email]> כתב:
I've been playing with Intel NUC's and I shot some video that I'd
thought I'd share.

xrdp codec mode Kubuntu 14.04

Jay

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Jay Sorg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm been working on codec mode in xrdp.  This is equivalent to RemoteFX in MS.
> Very promising.
>
> I'll be posting videos on youtube in the neutrinolabs area.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDNwd4f5s7wmREBXayVKGfQ
>
> One there now, more it come.
>
> Jay

http://xrdp-devel.766250.n3.nabble.com/Xrdp-devel-codec-mode-xrdp-tp4025565p4025698.html
To start a new topic under XRDP Devel, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#39;ml-node%2Bs766250n766250h4@n3.nabble.com&#39;);" target="_blank">ml-node+s766250n766250h4@...
To unsubscribe from XRDP Devel, click here.
NAML

Idan Freiberg
Mobile: +972-52-2925213

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

Kevin Cave
That's awesome, Jay :)

Regards

Kevin

To start a new topic under XRDP Devel, email <a href="javascript:_e(%7B%7D,&#39;cvml&#39;,&#[hidden email]&#39;);" target="_blank">ml-node+s766250n766250h4@...
To unsubscribe from XRDP Devel, click here.
NAML

--
Idan Freiberg
Mobile: <a href="tel:%2B972-52-2925213" value="+972522925213" target="_blank">+972-52-2925213

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

> Wow that's good!
>
> Is it turbo JPEG or rfx codec?

Still turbo JPEG.
Working on rfx codec still.
Rfx actually works but much slower.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

Gustavo Homem
With turbo jpeg at this level of awesomeness I'm not that worried about rfx really :)

Cheers
Gustavo
--

On 23 de Outubro de 2014 19h18min53s GMT+01:00, Jay Sorg <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Wow that's good!
>>
>> Is it turbo JPEG or rfx codec?
>
>Still turbo JPEG.
>Working on rfx codec still.
>Rfx actually works but much slower.
>
>Jay

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

jsorg71
With the success of turbo jpeg codec mode, I started work on h264
codec mode.  I have it working now end to end using nvenc, quicksync,
or x264.  Nvenc and quicksync use hardware and x264 is software.

The performance is great but I'm quickly seeing two problems with
fonts.  One is that h264(and jpeg for that matter) does not compress
fonts well.  Another is that the fonts get fussy and sometimes you
can't even read them.  Red text on black background is the worst.

So now I'm thinking the best path for codec mode in to implement egfx.
Egfx has something called clear codec that's made for fonts.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh554846.aspx

Anyone interested in working of this can contact me directly.

Speidy is working on the bulk compressor but there is still more to do.

I'll post some video of what I have working in the next few weeks.

Jay

On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Gustavo Homem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With turbo jpeg at this level of awesomeness I'm not that worried about rfx really :)
>
> Cheers
> Gustavo
> --
> Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
> http://angulosolido.pt
>
> On 23 de Outubro de 2014 19h18min53s GMT+01:00, Jay Sorg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Wow that's good!
>>>
>>> Is it turbo JPEG or rfx codec?
>>
>>Still turbo JPEG.
>>Working on rfx codec still.
>>Rfx actually works but much slower.
>>
>>Jay

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

Jonathan Buzzard
On 08/03/15 00:01, Jay Sorg wrote:

> With the success of turbo jpeg codec mode, I started work on h264
> codec mode.  I have it working now end to end using nvenc, quicksync,
> or x264.  Nvenc and quicksync use hardware and x264 is software.
>
> The performance is great but I'm quickly seeing two problems with
> fonts.  One is that h264(and jpeg for that matter) does not compress
> fonts well.  Another is that the fonts get fussy and sometimes you
> can't even read them.  Red text on black background is the worst.
>
> So now I'm thinking the best path for codec mode in to implement egfx.
> Egfx has something called clear codec that's made for fonts.
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh554846.aspx
>
> Anyone interested in working of this can contact me directly.
>
> Speidy is working on the bulk compressor but there is still more to do.
>
> I'll post some video of what I have working in the next few weeks.
>
> Jay
>
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Gustavo Homem <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> With turbo jpeg at this level of awesomeness I'm not that worried about rfx really :)

One of the features of the RemoteFX Codec is that it is supposed to work
well with text. In fact I will rephrase that it does work well with text.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Fife, United Kingdom.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] codec mode xrdp

jsorg71
It looks good because with RemoteFX(7.1), the bandwidth is so high.
If you crank up the compression level with RemoteFX(which is jpeg2000)
so the bandwidth matches jpeg, it looks even worse.  jpeg quality 95
to 100% fonts look good too.

It you're talking about RemoteFX 8.0/8.1, they are using clear codec.

Jay