[Xrdp-devel] bulk compressor

jsorg71
I turned on the bulk compressor by default in v0.8 and devel branches.
LK fixed it back in January.
We've been running long haul test with MTSC and it seems good.

I did some bandwidth numbers here.
http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31:bandwidth-compare&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7

Almost always xrdp uses less bandwidth than MS server to MS client. :)
If you turn on jpeg and use NeutrinoRDP client it can even be 3x less.

Also, I did some RemoteFX bandwidth tests so you can see.  RFX is always higher.

I'll expand on this and test RDP 8.1

Re: [Xrdp-devel] bulk compressor

Jonathan Buzzard
On 05/05/14 20:18, Jay Sorg wrote:
> I turned on the bulk compressor by default in v0.8 and devel branches.
> LK fixed it back in January.
> We've been running long haul test with MTSC and it seems good.
>
> I did some bandwidth numbers here.
> http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31:bandwidth-compare&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7
>
> Almost always xrdp uses less bandwidth than MS server to MS client. :)
> If you turn on jpeg and use NeutrinoRDP client it can even be 3x less.

Thinking aloud here, could you use this with x11rdp to improve video
playback? That is implement the Xvideo extension, grab the YUV data sent
to the "card" re-compress using JPEG (libjepg and libjpeg-turbo have
entry points for compressing YUV data) and spit out to the RDP client?

I guess there could be issues with scaling at the client end?

> Also, I did some RemoteFX bandwidth tests so you can see.  RFX is always higher.

I was under the impression that RemoteFX was not about reducing
bandwidth, but about providing GPU support, and USB redirection. The
codec bit of RemoteFX was as I understood it to provide a fast
high-fidelity experience for both video and text with optional GPU
acceleration of the compression.

Or am I missing something?

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan (at) buzzard.me.uk
Fife, United Kingdom.

Re: [Xrdp-devel] bulk compressor

jsorg71
>> Almost always xrdp uses less bandwidth than MS server to MS client. :)
>> If you turn on jpeg and use NeutrinoRDP client it can even be 3x less.
>
> Thinking aloud here, could you use this with x11rdp to improve video
> playback? That is implement the Xvideo extension, grab the YUV data sent
> to the "card" re-compress using JPEG (libjepg and libjpeg-turbo have
> entry points for compressing YUV data) and spit out to the RDP client?
>
> I guess there could be issues with scaling at the client end?

Using XV extension sounds like a fun project.  I'm sure it will work
great.  This will only help apps like VLC and mplayer.  Flash and html
5 video don't use XV extension.

>> Also, I did some RemoteFX bandwidth tests so you can see.  RFX is always higher.
>>

> I was under the impression that RemoteFX was not about reducing
> bandwidth, but about providing GPU support, and USB redirection. The
> codec bit of RemoteFX was as I understood it to provide a fast
> high-fidelity experience for both video and text with optional GPU
> acceleration of the compression.
>
> Or am I missing something?

No, you are right.  Bandwidth is not the benefit of RFX.  It does make
an interesting comparison anyway.

On 08/05/14 09:37, Jay Sorg wrote:

>>> Almost always xrdp uses less bandwidth than MS server to MS client. :)
>>> If you turn on jpeg and use NeutrinoRDP client it can even be 3x less.
>>
>> Thinking aloud here, could you use this with x11rdp to improve video
>> playback? That is implement the Xvideo extension, grab the YUV data sent
>> to the "card" re-compress using JPEG (libjepg and libjpeg-turbo have
>> entry points for compressing YUV data) and spit out to the RDP client?
>>
>> I guess there could be issues with scaling at the client end?
>
> Using XV extension sounds like a fun project.  I'm sure it will work
> great.  This will only help apps like VLC and mplayer.  Flash and html
> 5 video don't use XV extension.

No but your post on codec mode got me thinking. I don't know about HTML5
video but Adobe Flash does use the MIT Shared Memory extension for video
acceleration.

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT-SHM

It's as basic as it gets for X11 video acceleration but you could use it
capture just the video window from Flash stuff, and have the rest going
normally.

JAB.