[Xrdp-devel] bandwidth utilization increases 10 times when connecting xrdp server

[Xrdp-devel] bandwidth utilization increases 10 times when connecting xrdp server

Muhammad Sharfuddin
xrdp 0.4.1-28.4.10 server is installed on SLES 11 SP3 x864.
Desktop Manager GDM/GNOME

Connecting the xrdp server from windows xp machines over WAN, causes a lot of bandwidth utilization and a single connection(MS XP to xrdp server) requires at least 300+ KB, which in case of MS Windows Server(terminal server) only requires 40 KB per session max.

is it normal ? how can we reduce the bandwidth utilization ? please help/recommend

Muhammad Sharfuddin
Cell: +92-3332144823 | UAN: +92(21) 111-111-142 ext: 113 | NDS.COM.PK

Re: [Xrdp-devel] bandwidth utilization increases 10 times when connecting xrdp server

jsorg71
> xrdp 0.4.1-28.4.10 server is installed on SLES 11 SP3 x864.
> Desktop Manager GDM/GNOME
>
> Connecting the xrdp server from windows xp machines over WAN, causes a lot
> of bandwidth utilization and a single connection(MS XP to xrdp server)
> requires at least 300+ KB, which in case of MS Windows Server(terminal
> server) only requires 40 KB per session max.
>
> is it normal ? how can we reduce the bandwidth utilization ? please
> help/recommend

Yes, that seems about right.  That version only used Xvnc for the backand.

Can you install v0.8?  If you can build xrdp and X11rdp
You'll need to install from source unfortunately.

http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32:building-xrdp-in-opensuse-13x&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7

On 03/06/14 03:50, Jay Sorg wrote:
xrdp 0.4.1-28.4.10 server is installed on SLES 11 SP3 x864.
Desktop Manager GDM/GNOME

Connecting the xrdp server from windows xp machines over WAN, causes a lot
of bandwidth utilization and a single connection(MS XP to xrdp server)
requires at least 300+ KB, which in case of MS Windows Server(terminal
server) only requires 40 KB per session max.

is it normal ? how can we reduce the bandwidth utilization ? please
help/recommend
Yes, that seems about right.  That version only used Xvnc for the backand.

Can you install v0.8?  If you can build xrdp and X11rdp
You'll need to install from source unfortunately.

http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32:building-xrdp-in-opensuse-13x&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7

Jay

I'll definitely give v0.8 a try, because we are unable to continue our migration due to
very high(10 times) bandwidth utilization when using v0.4.1.x.

Regards,

[...]

Hello,
I downloaded the xrdp-master from https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp/archive/master.zip and follow
the instructions to install @ http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32:building-xrdp-in-opensuse-13x&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7 on SUSE 11 SP3.
But when I run the "
sh buildx.sh /opt/X11rdp"I got the following error:

checking for XDRIINFO... yes
checking for library containing glXGetProcAddressARB... no
configure: error: in `/opt/xrdp-master/xorg/X11R7.6/build_dir/xdriinfo-1.0.4':
configure: error: cannot find GL library - make sure Mesa or other OpenGL package is installed
See `config.log' for more details
configuration failed for module xdriinfo-1.0.4

please help me how to proceed furtherĀ  and resolve this dependency ?

Regards,
ms

On 11/06/14 23:38, Muhammad Sharfuddin wrote:
 > On 03/06/14 03:50, Jay Sorg wrote:
 >>> xrdp 0.4.1-28.4.10 server is installed on SLES 11 SP3 x864.
 >>> Desktop Manager GDM/GNOME
 >>>
 >>> Connecting the xrdp server from windows xp machines over WAN,
causes a lot
 >>> of bandwidth utilization and a single connection(MS XP to xrdp server)
 >>> requires at least 300+ KB, which in case of MS Windows Server(terminal
 >>> server) only requires 40 KB per session max.
 >>>
 >>> is it normal ? how can we reduce the bandwidth utilization ? please
 >>> help/recommend
 >> Yes, that seems about right.  That version only used Xvnc for the
backand.

 >> Can you install v0.8?  If you can build xrdp and X11rdp
 >> You'll need to install from source unfortunately.

http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32:building-xrdp-in-opensuse-13x&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7

 >> Jay
 >>
 > Hello,
 > I downloaded the xrdp-master from
https://github.com/neutrinolabs/xrdp/archive/master.zip and follow
 > the instructions to install @
http://www.xrdp.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=32:building-xrdp-in-opensuse-13x&catid=2:documents&Itemid=7
on SUSE 11 SP3.
 > But when I run the "sh buildx.sh /opt/X11rdp"I got the following error:
 >
 > checking for XDRIINFO... yes
 > checking for library containing glXGetProcAddressARB... no
 > configure: error: in
`/opt/xrdp-master/xorg/X11R7.6/build_dir/xdriinfo-1.0.4':
 > configure: error: cannot find GL library - make sure Mesa or other
OpenGL package is installed
 > See `config.log' for more details
 > configuration failed for module xdriinfo-1.0.4
 >
 > please help me how to proceed further  and resolve this dependency ?
 >
 > Regards,
 > ms

/opt/xrdp-master/xorg/X11R7.6/build_dir/xdriinfo-1.0.4/config.log
contains following:
configure:4711: result: yes
configure:4717: checking for library containing glXGetProcAddressARB
configure:4748: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -I/opt/X11rdp/include -fPIC
-O2  -Wl,-rpath=/opt/X11rdp/lib conftest.c  >&5
/tmp/ccWniYVG.o: In function `main':
conftest.c:(.text+0x7): undefined reference to `glXGetProcAddressARB'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

also "glxinfo |grep -i opengl" returns following:
OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x301)
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.3

Please help

Regards,
ms