[Xrdp-devel] alt+gr key not working for german keyboard

[Xrdp-devel] alt+gr key not working for german keyboard

Lionel Rocket
Hi,

I have problems understanding how keyboard maps are used.

In my case i have users with us and de keyboards connecting to xrdp running with X11rdp.

If a user with german keyboard connects then i see in the log:

"local keymap file for 0x0407 found and dosen't match built in keymap, using local keymap file"

When a user with us keyboard connects, this appears in the log:

"local keymap file for 0x0409 found and dosen't match built in keymap, using local keymap file"

So it looks like xrdp is recognizing the us and de keyboards. But in case of the german keyboard the alt+gr key combinations are not working. When i enter "setxkbmap" in the remote session, the alt+gr key is working. So i generated a new km-0407.ini after entering "setxkbmap" but after reconnecting the alt+gr keys did not work again. (there were several differences in the km-0407.ini file provided by the xrdp package and the one generated after "setxkbmap")

Then i just added "setxkbmap de" to the startwm.sh script and now the alt+gr works also after reconnecting to xrdp. Now i am wondering why the generated km-0407.ini after calling "setxkbmap" is not working and if there is a way to adapt the startwm.sh script in a more generic way to support more than one language.

I have installed xrdp from the current v0.8 github branch running on rhel 6.3. connecting via win7 mstsc.exe.

BR,
Lionel

Re: [Xrdp-devel] alt+gr key not working for german keyboard

Emmanuel Blindauer
Le 18/11/14 17:07, Lionel Rocket a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have problems understanding how keyboard maps are used.
>
> In my case i have users with us and de keyboards connecting to xrdp
> running with X11rdp.
>
> If a user with german keyboard connects then i see in the log:
>
> "local keymap file for 0x0407 found and dosen't match built in keymap,
> using local keymap file"
>
> When a user with us keyboard connects, this appears in the log:
>
> "local keymap file for 0x0409 found and dosen't match built in keymap,
> using local keymap file"
>
> So it looks like xrdp is recognizing the us and de keyboards. But in
> case of the german keyboard the alt+gr key combinations are not
> working. When i enter "setxkbmap" in the remote session, the alt+gr
> key is working. So i generated a new km-0407.ini after entering
> "setxkbmap" but after reconnecting the alt+gr keys did not work again.
> (there were several differences in the km-0407.ini file provided by
> the xrdp package and the one generated after "setxkbmap")
>
> Then i just added "setxkbmap de" to the startwm.sh script and now the
> alt+gr works also after reconnecting to xrdp. Now i am wondering why
> the generated km-0407.ini after calling "setxkbmap" is not working and
> if there is a way to adapt the startwm.sh script in a more generic way
> to support more than one language.
>
> I have installed xrdp from the current v0.8 github branch running on
> rhel 6.3. connecting via win7 mstsc.exe.
>

> BR,
> Lionel

I had same issue. There is a difference if you use X11rdp or the xorgrdp
driver
For X11rdp
- there are several km-0xxx.ini files. they seems not being uptodate, as
there was a update in genkeymap.
- the km-0xxx.ini are used on the login screen (and only here I think)
- I'm not sure, but X11rdp calls setxkbmap directly
-> Even with all that, I didn't had a correct mapping in the X11
session, and use setxkbmap in startwm.sh
For the RDP driver in Xorg:
there was some commits last week to fix the mapping (I had setxkmap in
startwm.sh since months, but it wasn't working with the xorg driver
until a recent update). After this update I don't need anymore to have
setxkbmap, the mapping is correct

Emmanuel