[Xrdp-devel] Removal of all Processes?

Murtaza Munaim
  Hey Guys. So I have been able to implement Session Deletion
Functionality for the debian release xrdp-0.4.0~dfsg. However, I have
one little problem I hope someone here has some insight into. So I have
a main .xsession shell script that is executed upon a users connect to
the xrdp server. This .xsession script starts up alot of other scripts.
When sesman kills the main session, the XVnc, the other xrdp-related
instances are also killed. However, some of unrelated scripts(some ruby
scripts) are not killed. I want to know if there is a way to kill every
process that is spawned by the user. If anyone has any suggestions, let
me know.

Thanks
-Murtaza

smime.p7s (2K) Download Attachment

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Removal of all Processes?

Norman Rasmussen
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 9:41 PM, Murtaza Munaim <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hey Guys. So I have been able to implement Session Deletion Functionality for the debian release xrdp-0.4.0~dfsg. However, I have one little problem I hope someone here has some insight into. So I have a main .xsession shell script that is executed upon a users connect to the xrdp server. This .xsession script starts up alot of other scripts. When sesman kills the main session, the XVnc, the other xrdp-related instances are also killed. However, some of unrelated scripts(some ruby scripts) are not killed. I want to know if there is a way to kill every process that is spawned by the user. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know.

This also happens with a normal X server.  If you want to force-quit user's processes use killall -u $USER.

Thanks
-Murtaza

- Norman Rasmussen
 - Email: [hidden email]
 - Home page: http://norman.rasmussen.co.za/

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Removal of all Processes?

Vincent Bernat
OoO En cette  soirée bien amorcée du mardi 13  juillet 2010, vers 22:41,
Murtaza Munaim <[hidden email]> disait :

>  Hey Guys. So I have been able to implement Session Deletion
> Functionality for the debian release xrdp-0.4.0~dfsg. However, I have
> one little problem I hope someone here has some insight into. So I
> have a main .xsession shell script that is executed upon a users
> connect to the xrdp server. This .xsession script starts up alot of
> other scripts. When sesman kills the main session, the XVnc, the other
> xrdp-related instances are also killed. However, some of unrelated
> scripts(some ruby scripts) are not killed. I want to know if there is
> a way to kill every process that is spawned by the user. If anyone has
> any suggestions, let me know.

You can  use cgroups. The main  process will be launched  in a dedicated
cgroup and all subprocesses will be in it too. There is no way to escape
a cgroup.

However, this is Linux only  and fairly recent. systemd [1] uses cgroups
for the exact same purpose.

[1] http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
--
BOFH excuse #139: