[Xrdp-devel] Noob Q.: can't get OpenGL > 1.4 (2.0+ desired) to work through X11rdp

[Xrdp-devel] Noob Q.: can't get OpenGL > 1.4 (2.0+ desired) to work through X11rdp

Frantisek Rysanek
Dear polite XRDP developers,

I have a newbie question.
I have some basic coding experience under Linux,
enough to know a nice dependency hell when I face one,
but inevitably I got stuck...

We have a PC machine with an Nvidia GFX card and Ubuntu 14.
We've managed to install the proprietary Nvidia driver,
and we have nice support for OpenGL on the Nvidia display outputs.
We have some apps that depend on it - not necessarily
performance-wise, but definitely feature-wise.
Such as, the Qt Designer... but there are others.

Now... we would like to access the machine via RDP from
another box, or from a notebook somewhere in the wild...
The basic connectivity stuff (VPN) is there, works fine.
The Windows RDP client connects just fine to xrdp,
and most apps work just fine.
The catch is: Qt Designer and some other apps
fail to start, quoting some missing OpenGL "methods",
and demanding OpenGL 2.0 or better.
glxinfo, if started under the RDP session,
reports using the MESA library and OpenGL 1.4.

In general I suspect that the Nvidia OpenGL accelerated
rendering is only available on Nvidia's own display outputs
(a native framebuffer in the graphics card's dedicated memory).
It seems pretty principal - no amount of googling and
mis-informed advice from forums can change that, right?
For RDP, I guess we're stuck with software rendering and MESA.
Now the question is - what version of MESA.

I've noticed that if I perform a "git clone ...XRDP...",
and follow the recommended steps to build the binaries,
the X11rdp binary = the low-level stuff between RDP
and graphics, doesn't get built. This is the whole xorg/
subdirectory. I've come to understand that it drags a ton
of stale depndencies along with it. There's a text file,
containing a listing of tarballs, the resulting source subdirs
and optional "configure" options... All of this gets populated
by the buildx.sh script - the tarballs get downloaded,
unpacked and built, one by one.
There's an additional script, providing some automation:
the X11RDP-o-Matic .

MESA 7.10.3 is one of those dated dependencies.
I've tried downloading MESA 10.5.9 = corresponding
to the host system (Ubuntu) - but after resolving
three more of MESA's dependencies, I gave up
(got stuck on a linker error when building librdm).

Looks like a dead end to me.
Is my direction completely misguided anyway, maybe?
Is there any principal chance of getting those more recent
OpenGL features supported in the RDP Xserver? :-)

Should I instead take a look at Xming / VcXsrv with AIGLX ?
Network bandwidth is not as much of a problem nowadays
as it once used to be...

Any response is welcome :-)

And BTW, thanks for investing your time in creating xrdp.
Seems to be the smoothest "remote desktop" solution
for Linux nowadays...

Have a nice day :-)

Frank Rysanek

Customer support
FCC Prumyslove Systemy s.r.o.
Usti nad Labem
Czech Republic
+420 47 2774 173 (office)
+420 736 630 449 (mobile)

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Noob Q.: can't get OpenGL > 1.4 (2.0+ desired) to work through X11rdp

Frantisek Rysanek
Dear gentlemen,

after some more googling, I've found out the right answer:
"in addition to X11rdp, install VirtualGL" .
Piece of cake, works like a charm... problem solved.

Thanks for your attention and have a nice day :-)

Frank Rysanek