[Xrdp-devel] Matlab starting up and acting very slowly in Xvnc instances

[Xrdp-devel] Matlab starting up and acting very slowly in Xvnc instances

Stebo85
Dear Xrdp-developers,

I have noted a weird hehaviour of xrdp from time to time: Sometimes "Matlab" (a scientific program based on Java) starts up very slowly and acts very slowly in an xrdp session (sesman-Xvnc). The only solution for this problem is logging off and restablishing the xrdp session. Interestingly it does not happen in a sesman-X11 connection and from time to time it suddenly works. Is anyone observing something similar or has an idea were I can start looking for the cause of this problem?

We run xrdp on a Fedora 20 and windows XP and 7 clients connecting to it.

Thank you
Steffen

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Matlab starting up and acting very slowly in Xvnc instances

arvid norr
Hi Steffen

Try this:
https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/160387
From link :
- "maybe I found a resolution for this problem! Just put a file called "java.opts" containing the Java option "-Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false" into the directory *matlabroot*/bin/*system*/"

Please confirm if this (or other java settings) fix the problem.
Some java settings can be found here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/2d/flags.html

Regards
Arvid

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Matlab starting up and acting very slowly in Xvnc instances

Stebo85
Dear Arvid,

Thank you for your input. I tested the suggested options and also tried other JAVA options, but the problem still persists. My problem seems to be different from the described problem in the mathworks forum: The display is ok, since I can resize windows without problems and also open figures without a large delay. The delay happens during startup (it takes ages initializing) and also changing directories takes minutes.

Thank you
Steffen

Hi Steffen

Try this:
https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/160387
From link :
- "maybe I found a resolution for this problem! Just put a file called "java.opts" containing the Java option "-Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false" into the directory *matlabroot*/bin/*system*/"

Please confirm if this (or other java settings) fix the problem.
Some java settings can be found here: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/2d/flags.html

Regards
Arvid

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Matlab starting up and acting very slowly in Xvnc instances

jsorg71
>> I have noted a weird hehaviour of xrdp from time to time: Sometimes
>> "Matlab" (a scientific program based on Java) starts up very slowly and acts
>> very slowly in an xrdp session (sesman-Xvnc). The only solution for this
>> problem is logging off and restablishing the xrdp session. Interestingly it
>> does not happen in a sesman-X11 connection and from time to time it suddenly
>> works. Is anyone observing something similar or has an idea were I can start
>> looking for the cause of this problem?

Hi Steffen,

When you say sesman-X11, do you mean sesman-X11rdp?  If so, you can
just use that.  I always recommend X11rdp over Xvnc.

Also, can you try in a straight Xvnc to vncviewer and see if the
problem still happens?