[Xrdp-devel] Keyboard problems

Lars Riisgaard Ribe
Dear XRDP-developers
First of all: Thanks for a great program! It has made Remote Desktop’ing on Linux so much easier!
Now for my problem:
On an Ubuntu 12.04 I have used the ScaryGliders X11RDP-o-Matic script which created a ver0.9 xrdp server. I can easily login and everything is fine.
My problem is now that some users are using the default US keyboard and some are using a Danish keyboard.
For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk), I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
Is this expected behavior?
Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?

Please let me know if there is anything I can do

Best,

Lars Ribe

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Keyboard problems

Lars Riisgaard Ribe
Ok, so I have now done a bit more of digging.
The following steps reproduces the error on two different (Danish machines) desktop machines (Ubuntu 12.04):
- Install xrdp
- Add a Danish keyboard layout on your desktop
- Start terminal and write:
rdesktop -k da 127.0.0.1
- From within rdesktop open a terminal:
setxkbmap dk
sudo xrdp-genkeymap /etc/xrdp/km-0406.ini
sudo /etc/init.d/xrdp restart
- And logout
- Now, if I issue:
rdesktop -k da 127.0.0.1

I can use Danish characters when typing my username (No, I don’t have Danish characters in my username…)
But when I log in, open a terminal and query:
setxkbmap -query

I get:
rules: evdev
model: pc104
layout: us

I now type:
setxkbmap dk

close the rdesktop window and open a new rdesktop connection. Again, the keyboard is switched back to us.
The strange thing is that it apparently works if I try a Swedish keyboard instead?

Best,

Lars Ribe

On 09/06/2014, at 14.22, Lars Riisgaard Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear XRDP-developers
> First of all: Thanks for a great program! It has made Remote Desktop’ing on Linux so much easier!
> Now for my problem:
> On an Ubuntu 12.04 I have used the ScaryGliders X11RDP-o-Matic script which created a ver0.9 xrdp server. I can easily login and everything is fine.
> My problem is now that some users are using the default US keyboard and some are using a Danish keyboard.
> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk), I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
> Is this expected behavior?
> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>
> Best,
>
> Lars Ribe

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Keyboard problems

Gustavo Homem
Hi Lars,

> Dear XRDP-developers
> First of all: Thanks for a great program! It has made Remote Desktop’ing on
> Linux so much easier!
> Now for my problem:
> On an Ubuntu 12.04 I have used the ScaryGliders X11RDP-o-Matic script which
> created a ver0.9 xrdp server. I can easily login and everything is fine.
> My problem is now that some users are using the default US keyboard and some
> are using a Danish keyboard.
> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
> Is this expected behavior?
> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>
> Please let me know if there is anything I can do

You can set the keyboard on the following files:

/etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
/etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect

You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

This is my startwm.sh:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
  . /etc/default/locale
  export LANG LANGUAGE
fi

# overrride system defaults
export LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
/usr/bin/startkde

Cheers
Gustavo

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Keyboard problems

Lars Riisgaard Ribe
Dear Gustavo
Thank you for your mail.
I did not know about the reconnectwm.sh - that can turn out pretty useful!
Unfortunately, I still cannot achieve the Danish keyboard, which is rather strange.

I tried making a /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh with the following content:

#!/bin/sh
pause 3
setxkbmap dk 2> /tmp/testrdp
setxkbmap -query >> /tmp/testrdp
xterm &

When I reconnect, the content of /tmp/testrdp is:
rules:      evdev
model:      pc104
layout:     dk

an xterm opens as expected, but the keyboard is reverted to us. So somewhere between calling reconnectwm.sh and actually releasing the desktop to the user, another keyboard setting is apparently made?
Does anyone know if there is an actual change of keyboard in the C-code? Then I’ll be able to comment that out.

And I do have all my language settings set to da_DK.UTF8.

Best,

Lars

On 11/06/2014, at 02.18, Gustavo Homem <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Lars,
>

>> Dear XRDP-developers
>> First of all: Thanks for a great program! It has made Remote Desktop’ing on
>> Linux so much easier!
>> Now for my problem:
>> On an Ubuntu 12.04 I have used the ScaryGliders X11RDP-o-Matic script which
>> created a ver0.9 xrdp server. I can easily login and everything is fine.
>> My problem is now that some users are using the default US keyboard and some
>> are using a Danish keyboard.
>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>> Is this expected behavior?
>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>
>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>
> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>
> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>
> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.
>
> This is my startwm.sh:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> if [ -r /etc/default/locale ]; then
>  . /etc/default/locale
>  export LANG LANGUAGE
> fi
>
> # overrride system defaults
> export LANG=pt_PT.UTF-8
> /usr/bin/startkde
>
> Cheers
> Gustavo

Re: [Xrdp-devel] Keyboard problems

Lars Riisgaard Ribe
Oh - and just some extra info. I found a package, I built for release 0.7 on Aug 29, 2013, and in that build the keyboard is working fine.

On 11/06/2014, at 10.16, Lars Riisgaard Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

Kevin Cave
Lars, was that v0.7 package also built by o-matic?

Have you tried building another v0.7 at all, to see if that also works okay? It'd be interesting to find out
if it's something to do with the xrdp versions.

If you're going to build another v0.7 (or above), can I suggest you try the devel version of o-matic?
Just clone it as usual but add the -b devel swicth to the git clone command and you'll get it - I changed the
method for generating a xrdp Debian package, which produces a "better" .deb which now properly includes
the pre and post inst scripts to stop/start the xrdp script where relevant during install/remove/upgrade.

Regards,

Kevin.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 6:30 PM, Lars Riisgaard Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

That must be a bug introduced recently because versions from early this year (0.7) worked fine. Kevin's suggestion is a good one, I think.

Cheers
Gustavo

--
Angulo Sólido - Tecnologias de Informação
http://angulosolido.pt

> [...]
> >> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
> >> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap
> >> dk),
> >> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
> >> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in
> >> the
> >> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
> >> Is this expected behavior?
> >> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
> >>
> >> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
> >
> > You can set the keyboard on the following files:
> >
> > /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
> > /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
> >
> > You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some
> > applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

Hi Kevin
The 0.7 package was built with the o-magic found on ScaryGliders on August 23, 2003.

I think your suggestion is excellent, so I tried building a v0.7 with the current version:
cd X11RDP-o-Matic
./X11rdp-o-matic.sh --branch v0.7 --noinstall --withdebug —justdoit

However, I run into problems:

*** processing module Mesa-7.10.3 (30 of 102) ***

downloading file MesaLib-7.10.3.tar.bz2

failed to download MesaLib-7.10.3.tar.bz2 - aborting build

error building X11rdp

So apparently, MesaLib in that version is not on the Internet anymore.

I have also tried building v.08 with the debug script and in the end I got:

./X11rdp-o-matic.sh: line 468: dh_make: command not found
./X11rdp-o-matic.sh: line 471: cd: debian: No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `*.ex': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `*.EX': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `README.Debian': No such file or directory
rm: cannot remove `README.source': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `../COPYING': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `../readme.txt': No such file or directory
Preparation complete. Building and packaging xrdp...
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: using a gain-root-command while being root
dpkg-buildpackage: export CFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
dpkg-buildpackage: export CPPFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
dpkg-buildpackage: export CXXFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security
dpkg-buildpackage: export FFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -g -O2
dpkg-buildpackage: export LDFLAGS from dpkg-buildflags (origin: vendor): -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -Wl,-z,relro
tail: cannot open `debian/changelog' for reading: No such file or directory
dpkg-buildpackage: error: tail of debian/changelog gave error exit status 1
mv: cannot stat `xrdp*.deb': No such file or directory
Will exit now, since we are not installing on this system...
Packages have been placed under their respective directories in the
packages directory.
There is a package in packages/x11rdp but none in packages/xrdp

I have right now build a v.08 from the o-matic script with debugging, but I cannot start it.
Best,

Lars

On 11/06/2014, at 11.57, Kevin Cave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

Thanks for giving the devel branch (devil branch? ;)  ) a try out.

"failed to download MesaLib-7.10.3.tar.bz2 - aborting build"

The buildx.sh script didn't manage to download one of the source code tarballs to build X11rdp at that particular time so the buildx.sh script aborted the build. That could be due either to an interruption of the internet connection either at your end, the tarball end, or somewhere in-between - it's difficult to know. I'm wondering if it's time to adjust the buildx.sh script so that it retries a download a few times before giving up. (The buildx.sh script is one which is supplied in the xrdp source code as cloned from the github repository)

I'll have a look at testing the package building in an Ubuntu 12.04 VM and get back to you. It definitely works on my Debian Jessie/Sid workstation - there may be some slight but crucial difference between that and Ubuntu 12.04 that I haven't taken into account. I'll get back to you on that.

Perhaps in the meantime you could use the non-devel version of o-matic (perhaps o-magic as you typed above is a better name ;)  ) to build v0.7?

Regards

Kevin.

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 5:12 AM, Lars Riisgaard Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

Dear Kevin
I have tested and can confirm that v.07 cannot be build right now due to the missing MesaLib.
I have tried on two separate machines on an Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 14.04 and with both the devel and non-revel version of the o-matic and the result is the same.

Best,

Lars

On 12/06/2014, at 23.10, Kevin Cave <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

Hi all,
The problem for v.07 is that xrdp fetches MesaLib from freerdp and they have changed the folder structure.
If one creates a file called mesa.patch with the content:

--- buildx.sh.orig      2014-06-13 23:15:19.000000000 +0200
+++ buildx.sh   2014-06-13 23:38:26.360783277 +0200
@@ -45,7 +45,7 @@
         cd ..
         return $status
     elif [ "$file" = "MesaLib-7.10.3.tar.bz2" ]; then
-        wget -cq ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/7.10.3/$file
+       wget -cq ftp://ftp.freedesktop.org/pub/mesa/older-versions/7.x/7.10.3/$file
         status=$?
         cd ..
         return $status

And patches the devel version of X11rdp-o-matic.sh with:
--- X11rdp-o-matic.sh.orig      2014-06-17 18:56:20.341198972 +0200
+++ X11rdp-o-matic.sh   2014-06-17 00:53:48.819535889 +0200
@@ -671,6 +671,11 @@

   # Patch rdp Makefile
   patch -b -d $WORKINGDIR/xrdp/xorg/X11R7.6/rdp Makefile < $WORKINGDIR/rdp_Makefile.patch
+  if [[ $XRDPBRANCH = "v0.7" ]] # branch v0.7 has a moved libmesa
+  then
+      echo "Patching mesa"
+      patch -b -d $WORKINGDIR/xrdp/xorg/X11R7.6 buildx.sh < $WORKINGDIR/mesa.patch
+  fi
 }

 # make the /usr/bin/X11rdp symbolic link if it doesn't exist…

Then v .07 may build again.

> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

Hi Lars, thanks for the info.

I'm just wondering whether it'd be a good idea or not, if all the Xorg source tarballs used by buildx.sh were bundled together into one tarball, and then placed on and downloaded from github.

That would remove any concerns about file locations being changed. It would also mitigate the possibility that someone decides that a very old version of a source tarball no longer needs to exist on that ftp server. I don't think there'd be any copyright issues doing that as the source licenses AFAIK permit redistribution.

I wonder what Jay et all thinks of this?

Regards

Kevin Cave

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Lars Riisgaard Ribe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

I have now managed to build version 0.7, 0.8 and 0.9, and I can see that the problem started when going from v0.7 to v0.8.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.

> [...]

>>> For Danish users, I have created the km-0406.ini in /etc/xrdp and when
>>> connecting, I can type Danish characters in my username which is fine.
>>> If I log in, open a terminal and sets the keyboard to Danish (setxkbmap dk),
>>> I can type Danish characters in the terminal.
>>> My problem is now, that if I disconnects and reconnects, the keyboard in the
>>> terminal is reset to US, and I have to issue setxkbmap dk once more.
>>> Is this expected behavior?
>>> Is there some way of removing the lines setting the keyboard layout?
>>>
>>> Please let me know if there is anything I can do
>>
>> You can set the keyboard on the following files:
>>
>> /etc/xrdp/startwm.sh -> script that start the window manager
>> /etc/xrdp/reconnectwm.sh -> script that runs on reconnect
>>
>> You can call setxkbmap, but if I remmemer correctly there are some applications which need the LANG variables to be set.

I can confirm that the problem with changing keyboard layout to us persists in version 0.9, but after the introduction of xrdp_keyboard.ini (and a subsequent entry for Danish) in devel branch, the problem has been solved!

Best,

Lars